– 2 cups (256 g/9 oz) unbleached rice organic flour
– 1 1/2 cups (170 g/6 oz) unsweetened natural cocoa powder
– 2 1/4 Tbsp (27 g/0.9 oz) baking powder
– 2 1/4 Tbsp (27 g/0.9 oz) baking soda
– 3/4 tsp (2.25 g/0.08 oz) kosher salt
– 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp (258 g/9.2 oz) extra-firm tofu
– 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp (266 g/9.3 oz) water
– 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp (134 g/4.7 oz) coconut oil
– 1 cup (242 g/8.5 oz) soy milk
– 1 cup (296 g/10.4 oz) maple syrup
– 1 1/2 Tbsp (18 g/0.6 oz) vanilla extract
– 1 1/2 Tbsp (22 g/0.8 oz) apple cider vinegar
– Vegan Divas Chocolate Mousse
– 2 Tbsp (14 g/0.5 oz) unsweetened natural cocoa powder
Preheat the oven to 325°F. Coat the bottom and sides of two 9-inch round cake pans with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
In the bowl of a food processor, process the tofu and water until smooth, about 40 seconds. Place the mixture in another medium bowl and whisk in the coconut oil, soy milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract and vinegar. Whisk in the dry ingredients until blended. Divide the batter between the pans and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean. Cool the cakes in the pans on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then invert the cakes onto the rack and cool completely.
Make the frosting:
Prepare the Vegan Divas Chocolate Mousse as directed, but do not refrigerate it. Add the cocoa powder to the mousse and process in the food processor until blended. Refrigerate the frosting just until the cake layers are completely cool.
Frost the cake:
Place one of the cake layers on a cardboard cake round or serving plate and top with a layer of frosting. Top with the other cake layer and frost the top and sides of the cake with the remaining frosting. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.