I love chickpeas! It’s really a very versatile food that you can use in salads, stews, cook with beans, make pancakes and more.
This is a very hearty recipe for any time of the year! Inspired by Indian flavors that I love!
Share your recipe pictures with me on instagram!
Tag #vegandivas @vegandivas
Couscous Chickpea Stew
3 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1⁄2 Cup Roughly Chopped Carrots
1⁄4 Cup Bell Peppers
1⁄4 Cup Zucchini
1⁄4 Cup Eggplants
1⁄4 Cup Fresh tomatoes
1⁄2 Cup Rinsed Cooked Chickpeas
2 Cup Crushed Canned Tomatoes
3 Tablespoon Raisins/Currants
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
1 Teaspoon, Minced Lemon Rind
5 chopped (Stems With Leaves) Coriander Sprigs
1 chopped Onion
1 Teaspoon Paprika
1 Teaspoon Chili Paste (Like Harissa Or Sambal Olek)
1 Teaspoon Sea salt (Or To Taste)
1 Teaspoon Ground Coriander
1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
1⁄2 Teaspoon Turmeric
1 Cinnamon Stick
2 Teaspoon Baharat (Middle Eastern Spice Mix)
1 Tablespoon Fresh Ginger; Pureed
1. Heat a pan over medium high heat and add olive oil.
2. Add onions and let fry for at least one minute or until onions just start to brown.
3. Add all dry spices including chili paste and ginger.
4. Fry for 3 minutes.
5. Add all 5 fresh vegetables.
6. Stir well, allowing all the vegetables to absorb the flavors of the spice mix.
7. Cook for 4 minutes (add a few tablespoons of water if mixture starts to stick to the bottom of the pan).
8. Add crushed tomatoes, stir, turn heat to medium low, cover and let simmer for 40 minutes.
9. Add chick peas, raisins, lemon juice, lemon rind and half of the cilantro.
10. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
11.Serve hot, garnished with remaining fresh coriander over couscous or rice