Walnut Pâté Apple Sandwich
One of our favorites as well as many others – it is quick, easy to prepare and of course delicious – Enjoy! 🙂
- 1 cup walnut halves
- One 15.5-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsps extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 16 slices whole-grain bread (I used Oroweat Sandwich Thins)
- 4 large jarred roasted red bell peppers; rinsed, drained and halved
- 2 large organic Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced vertically
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
Make the Pâté:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spread the walnuts on a baking sheet and toast for 7 to 10 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally, until lightly browned and fragrant. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the toasted walnuts to the bowl of a food processor. Add the beans, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, and 1/4 cup water. Purée until smooth, about 45 seconds. Season with salt and pepper.
The Vegan Diva’s Cookbook’s Walnut Pâté Apple Sandwich is packed with calcium-rich walnuts and white beans, which are loaded with antioxidants, fiber, and protein—a true power lunch!/Photo credit: Lisa Singer
Assemble the Sandwiches:
- Spread each of the 8 bread slices with 1 to 2 tablespoons of the walnut pâté.
- Top each with a red bell pepper half, 2 apple slices, and 1/4 cup baby spinach.
- Spread the remaining 8 bread slices with 1 tablespoon of the walnut pâté. Place on top of the sandwiches and serve.